Friday, August 1, 2008

Soooooo I need some advise....

So as you have read from my last post I have started TRYING to potty train Riley! It started off GrEaT!!! She was excited every time I asked her if she wanted to use her potty. Well........ now its a different story! Now EVERY TIME I ask her if she wants to use her potty she screams and throws the biggest fits!!! WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! I don't want the potty to be something she hates and I definitely don't want to feel like its a punishment or she will never want to and it will be an even tougher process. But if I wait till she is ready and excited to try again  WhO KnOwS when that will be, and i will never have a potty trained child!!! Ugh Please if  AnY oNe has any advise PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

6 comments:

Marisa said...

Casja, for Madisyn I put her straight into panties, and just let her learn. We made a HUGE deal everytime she did it. At first she got a few skittles or something for going. Every 15 minutes or so, you dont ask if she needs to potty, just say" Lets go sit on the potty!" And make it seem like a party. Since she has her own you can even sit on the big one while she sits on the little one. She will think it is fun to be like mom. It gets easier.

Jamie said...

Cajsa, You can also try saying do you want to potty now or in 5 min? If she chooses later you set a timer and make a big deal out of it and take her then. You can also say We are going practice pee do you want the red treat or the blue treat. You catch my drift no choice about peeing or tryin to but a choice about which treat, it kind of takes the focus and pressure of the actual pottying. I have potty that plays tunes when you pee if you want to try that. Also letting them hang out commando until they recognize what it feels like to actually need to go worked wonders for Miss M

Anonymous said...

Jamie's ideas sound really great, but also just remember she just turned 2 and it's okay that she's not interested. Sooo many kids start off super excited and then have no interest and then pick it back up again a few months later. Don't worry too much! Also, like you said if she feels pressured it might make her really not want to do it. So just remember that when it gets frustrating. Some kids pick right up on it, but others take some time. This is totally normal! We just re-started potty training Brady...I think this is the 3rd time. So, if not this time maybe next! Good luck!

Lisa Payne said...

everyone i've ever talked to says bribery works! my sister had differnt degrees of "presents" she'd give. The got a new car or something the first time they pooped in the toilet and then someting even bigger if they stayed dry for like a whole week...candy works too i hear

KayDee said...

All the ideas are awesome! At target they have a potty time book for girls with sounds and it is really cute they also have a potty time video! Thes are not necessary but fun! Kade and Chantel did the same thing! YOu just have to be patient and let her get used to the Idea first! Buy her some cute underwear and let her wear them out side for a little bit and she will get used to wearing them and when she has to go pee she will understand the feeling and get the idea of what is going on! Take it slow!! Dont get mad at her for not going on the potty but maybe give her special treats or stickers for just sitting on it at first and gradually work up to special little things that she can excited about!

I dont know If I made any sense but I tried! Good Luck!

Shad and Brittany said...

With Brooklyn we read this book that also talks about getting a treat and making a huge deal about when they go but it also tells what to do when they have an accident. It says to make them practice from where they had the accident. So if the accident occurs in the living room then you ask her "do we go potty in the living room" and she says no and you ask her where we go potty and she says in the potty and then you say lets practice so 10 times they practice running to the potty and pulling down their panties and sitting there and then running back and forth practicing. The key to this is to not get upset or mad but just show the dissappointment that she didn't make it and then reward her with her favorite snack when she goes. :) Anyways we did this with Brooklyn and she was trained in a day!